Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Oh, Mount Assiniboine.

Mount Assiniboine.  The Matterhorn of the Canadian Rockies.  People come from around the world just to gaze at this prodigious peak and climb it's flanks.  Well, except this year.  No one has yet to climb it because it's still snow bound. But that's another story.

Esthetically, it's beautiful with it's pyramidal shape and plumes of white cloud which cling to it's rocky summit.  It's an ecosystem unto itself, with clouds and mini-storm systems swirling high above.  It's mystical, magical and magnificent.

It's Mount Assiniboine

After my weekend plans fell through, I jumped on a last-minute trip with some of the running friends to enjoy a weekend in the Mount Assiniboine area.  The plan was simple: one day to run in, one day to play and one day to run out.

Seven years ago, on a similar trip - this place had ignited the idea in my mind that it was possible to run, on mountain trails and travel far and wide.  The 27km run in to Mount Assiniboine was my first time visiting this special region, my very first mountain trail run and truly, a life changing weekend.  I've never been the same since.  I haven't stopped exploring, trail running and enjoying the mountains since my first foray in to Assiniboine.


This weekend delivered some nasty weather up, yet again.  Cool temperatures, low cloud coverage, rain, sleet and snow were enjoyed by all on this "summer" weekend.  Fortunately, by the end of Day 2 - the rain stopped, the clouds cleared off and we got some glimpses of grandeur.  When the clouds finally lifted, we managed to get up high, bag a peak and we finally, finally got a glimpse of the mighty Mount Assiniboine.  I smiled so hard my face hurt, enjoyed the company of some great people and ran my little heart out in this incredible playground. 

 Charlie and Allan

 Kids in their Playground

 Charlie warming up after her swim in Lake Magog.  It was maybe 5c.

 Fresh snow.  Mini Blizzard.  Cold.  Wet. Fun.


 Lake Magog, Sunburst Lake, Cerulean Lake, Elizabeth Lake L-R

 Fresh snow on Nub Peak



 Mount Assiniboine makes an appearance

 Heavenly



 Big

 Bigger

 Biggest!

 ...and finally, blue sky and Mount Assiniboine.

 Trail Trash

 

On our last day, the sun came finally came out and we enjoyed a perfect summer's day.  The run out was awesome, a magical tour of Og Lake, Valley of the Rocks, Citadel Pass and Sunshine Meadows.  I enjoyed getting sweaty, feeling the sun on my skin and twice enjoyed that feeling of exhilaration that you only get by jumping in a high alpine lake. 

 Singletrack and Mount Assiniboine

 Everyone Was Happy
 
 There was Great Rejoicing!

...and we all ran happily ever after.

The End.

17 comments:

Kaz said...

Some chilly weather there! Glad you got a good one too. Mt Assinidoine really is like The Matterhorn! Multi day trips are the best!

Derrick said...

Wow...incredible photos Leslie. Sounds like an amazing way to spend a weekend.

Danni said...

Glad you had a great time!!! And especially glad I got to see you for a few minutes.

Paige said...

Beautiful!

Helen said...

Eeek! I put my feet in a mountain [hill] lake yesterday and squealed, and here's you jumping into 5 degrees. It would have been soo.... invigorating once you recovered from the initial shock! I love the "trail trash" photo!

HappyTrails said...

Awesome (except for the snow - summer's too short as is for you guys!!!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie. I love your pictures, they are amazing. I couldn't find your email to send you a message so thought I'd just leave a comment. I'm from Hamilton, ON and am coming out to Edmonton next weekend and staying in Banff on Mon and tues Aug 8 & 9th. I was wondering if you or if you knew of anyone that would be interested in doing a running tour on the trails. I'll probably be heading out Tuesday morning. Thanks so much in advance! Leigh-anne my email is leighanne@activebodies.ca

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie,

have fun in Ausralia and say hi to Auntie Sue. Australia is great and I have very good memories of my first trip there. Christel

DirtProof said...

Beautiful! I was just admiring Mt Assiniboine today from Healy Pass. Been trail running around Banff/Jasper for the past few weeks and absolutely love it. You have such an amazing backyard!

Mike said...

Very cool. No pun intended. Makes me want to go.

Barry said...

Amazing views. Grand photos. A challenging weather year. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Leslie said...

Hi Kaz! Yup, Mount Ass is known as the Canadian Matterhorn. I've gotten lots of multi-days this summer and the pack is almost feeling normal. Lovin' me some campin' in the Rockies.

Hi D, summer thoughts your way!!

Smooochies, Danni. Thanks for taking care of my Keithy. See you soon.

Hello, Ms. Paige. What's next for you?

Hi Helen, Eeeeks indeed! There's nothing more invigorating than a glacier fed lake! EEEEEK!!

Hi Happytrails!! Yup, I'm about done with getting snowed on - but it's almost become like a weekend "ritual". Heavy frost on the tent last weekend! Brrrrr.

Hi LeighAnne and welcome! I dropped you a note.

Hi DirtProof, can't believe you were here! Next time look me up, silly Girrrrrl. Glad you had a good time. You can see how spoiled I am, yes?!?

hi Mike! Come! Visit! It's all good.

Hi Barry, my theme of the summer has been all about "Just Go". And I do. I always end up having a grand time, despite the weather!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks in support of sharing such a good thought, post
is fastidious, thats why i have read it completely

Here is my blog post home cellulite treatment

yanmaneee said...

yeezy
valentino shoes
nike outlet
nike air max 2017
kobe basketball shoes
yeezy boost 350 v2
air max 95
cheap jordans
jordan store
adidas gazelle

neesa said...

web link my sources read the full info here find this Extra resources best replica designer

touthil said...

q1k55q6t40 g7q58b2o16 v0e88n8x57 j4a87a3i22 o8q79q0d45 t4l07i6l91

tysou said...

j5y32a9s34 u3z85c6i59 d6p69v0u82 k6w76v6z49 x1b07p7e75 n6w05h8o42