Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Western States Camp 2009

For me, Western States Camp was this: 3 days of chatting, laughing, swimming, carousing, eating, drinking, flirting, camping and 70 miles of damn fine trail running.

Really, I should just end this blog entry right now because that was it in a nutshell!

I met some great people out there. Thanks to Danni, Meghan, Steve, Brenda, Angela, Paul, Simon, Craig, Jennifer, Melissa, Gretchen, Glen and Tanya, Mike and Karyn and many others whose names I've forgotten (sorry!) for some quality time on and off the trail. You made my weekend. The running, camping and the whole experience were epic, but the people were the icing on the cake!

In total, we ran 70 miles of the Western States course, over 3 days. We were treated like gold with aid stations along the route, lots of great food and volunteers, post-run BBQ's and even massages. We enjoyed perfect hot, sunny weather for all 3 days of running and it was heavenly.

Brenda and myself, starting Day 1 off with a snowy power walk.


Conga Line

Brenda doesn't know this man, but it's WS legend Gordy Ansleigh.

Day 1 was a sweet 30 miles of trail, complete with two swims for me. Along the way I saw Gretchen working the aid station and spent some trail time with Glen Meeth. The day was hot, tough and challenging! The WS course was something. Lots of big ups and downs, just what I like.

Got Cone?

Frankie gettin' her groove on.

This is me, soaking wet after diving head first into the American River still wearing my hydration pack with my camera in the side pocket. Notice the fog on the bottom? Oooops. The swim was worth it. But unfortunately, I didn't have a camera for all 3 days after this. Thanks to Brenda and Steve, I got some photos.

I found each of the 3 days of running to be unique and completely different. I enjoyed the variety and the changing scenery. Day 2, I started with Danni for the first hour and an half. Shortly after, I picked up a bunch of speedy old guys and was leading the choo-choo train of old farts. It was pretty funny. Shortly afterwards, those same old farts took off and left me in the dust. Yep, as per usual I got my ass kicked by silver foxes!

I hooked up with Craig for a beautiful stretch running some beautiful terrain along the American River. The day ended with a swim in the river and a power walk up the hill with Jennifer. I was very thankfull for the BBQ that was waiting for us at the end of the day. How cool is that?

Cool Steve.
The last day of running was fun. I hooked up with Karyn and her husband Mike for a brief stretch, flying along through the woods. When we hit the first aid station, I hooked up with the lovely Melissa of Sacramento and we shared the trail for the rest of the day. All 3 of these folks are running States this year and I think they are totally ready to take on the challenge of this race. The post-race BBQ was epic and they even had showers for us set up. Instead, we choose to crawl into a little canal and soak our tired legs in the cold water. My legs certainly needed it and 3 days later, they are still tired and swollen.

Danni and I finished up our trip with a great evening at Jennifer's. Her and her hubby Travis went above and beyond taking us in for the night, feeding us and drinking us. A little California hospitality. It was a fitting and relaxing way to wind up the trip, hanging with the new friends. Thanks all, I had a great weekend. Camp was the best!

Next up: Blackfoot Ultra this weekend!

9 comments:

brendaontheRun said...

flirting?!!! Is that what you were doing on the massage table - I thought you were wincing!

Unknown said...

That sounds like an awesome 3-day weekend to me. Just think, all you have to do is string all of those runs together...

...in one day...

...plus another 30 miles. :-)

Danni said...

Excellent report!!! I'm starting to awaken from my stupor. Though it's hard to tell what's normal and what's stupor with me :p

Leslie said...

I am also awakening from my stupor but I am about to get in my car and go to ANOTHER 50km race as we speak.

Am I supposed to feel this tired? My legs still look sausage-like.

Deb said...

That sounds totally awesome!! My idea of a fabulous weekend for sure! Good luck and have fun at the Blackfoot Ultra this weekend!

Deanna Stoppler said...

Now that's a BIG pine cone.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! it was so good to run with you on that last day! Sorry I wasn't able to make it to Jen's house, I know how they do it! I told her, "yah that sounds great" and then proceeded to fall asleep LOL!!!! I miss you already and hope that we can hook up the next time you come to Cali! DON'T EVER PAY FOR HOTEL WHEN YOU COME ANYWHERE NEAR SAC. My home is always open to you!

Hope your hubby had a kick ass 50 miler, was sending you good vibes all weekend!

Take care and talk soon Leslie!

Love, Melissa

Donald said...

Hey - Sorry I'm behind catching up with your posts. I've got two pictures of you now that I can send if you drop me an e-mail: info@runningandrambling.com.

Go on. You know you wanna.

Anonymous said...

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all of us you really know what you're speaking about! Bookmarked. Kindly also seek advice from my site =). We could have a link trade agreement between us

Feel free to surf to my web blog :: flying airplane games