Sunday, January 4, 2009

....and now for something completely diffferent....

Welcome to today's long run!! Yes, it's a loooong and windy road. For those of you who know me, you know that I seldom venture onto the road. Think - NEVER. But in winter, sometimes a girl has got to do, what a girl has got to do.....




In winter, there seems to be a lot of repetition in the places that I can run! So sometimes, you need to mix it up a little. Today, I skipped a day of ski touring and instead caught a lift with my hubby and the ski crew, out to Johnson Canyon. I got to do two things I never do: go for a run in the canyon and run the 25km road back home.
See? A completely different change of scenery! This place is the busiest trail in the whole national park in summer and probably in winter, too. It's because people like waterfalls. Hey, I like waterfalls but you still won't catch me anywhere near this trail in summer! In winter, it is much calmer and I had an early start. It was frickin' cold and it took me a long time to warm up. My poor little foot that got frost bite a few weeks back, now seems to be cold all of the time. There was a handfull of people on the trail and a few ice climbers had an early start.





After my 6km warm up, I hit the secondary highway for the 25km back to Banff. I dusted off my IPod (first time I have used it on a run since last winter) and enjoyed my first road run in about 5 months!


Getting started....





The tunes were awesome, I had the road to myself and this put a smile on my face! Ha! To round up a great weekend, tonight we are going for ALL-U-CAN-EAT SUSHI!! Mmmmmm......can't wait.

9 comments:

Danni said...

Your road runs are still pretty unreal. Personally, I sometimes like running on the road. Which is good since it accounts for like 99% of my winter running.

JeffO said...

That canyon looks like a freeeezer! Amazing icefall.

Hey... is that Jesus I see in the snow on that tree? It's a miracle! It's a miracle!

Leslie said...

I'm trying to sell the tree on Ebay for like, 1 milllllllion dollars for its likeness of him...

Backofpack said...

Sorry guys, it looks like a cat's face to me. No millions on ebay!

Leslie, so what happens when you get frostbite? What is the recovery and how did you know it was bitten? I sense a post here...

Dave - Atlanta Trails said...

If you're gonna run on the hard stuff, it may as well be as beautiful as those photos indicate.

Thanks for sharing!

Aren't you coming down here this spring?

Hone said...

You live in one of the prettiest places on earth for sure!! I love the photos.

Let me know of any ultras in your neck of the woods and I will pencil it in for the future. I would love to run there.

HappyTrails said...

Amazing pictures, as always, but it looks TOO COLD!!! Awesome that you got in such a long run. Maybe you could do a post on how to dress for active adventures in the cold. BTW, where's your cute Christmas touque???
K

Journey to a Centum said...

Sha sha sha shit that looks cold!

Michelle and I have actually visited Johnson Canyon. We arrived the only ones in the parking lot and walked to see the falls. It was late May 1984. As we walked back to the car we heard a very strange noise echoing in the canyon. As we rounded the bend the noise turned out to be the power winders on cameras from a tour bus full of Japanese tourists! We could hear them over the falls!

I hope the cold toe problem fades over time. Other than the ride up with the boys did you see any wildlife along the road?

Let's see... ice climbing hmmm NOT!

I think that is a cat face on the tree. Ask any cat and they will tell you that they should have many more little roadside shrines built in their likeness.

Leslie said...

Aaaaah. The Road Run. I'm not sure why I avoid it like the plague, but I do. And my body thanks me! The trade off in winter is: I can't get the "distance" in, so I have to concentrate more on "time" on my feet.

Jeffo-The Miracle is that I didn't freeze my ass off in that canyon.

Michelle and Eric - Cat's Face?
Where's the faith? Johnson Canyon is a gong show in summer, but it sure is pretty. I have finished a few long runs there, and after running for 4+ hours and not see a soul, it is always a little shocking! I never saw any critters on my run, but I did cross underneath the highway on a "wildlife underpass" where I saw big kitty cat footy prints. Maybe the kitty had a sense of humour and left his mark on that tree....

I would agree that Ice Climbing is a silly sport. You'd better believe they freeze their toes and fingers a lot worse that I did!! My frostbite, fortunately, was more of a "nip" than a "bite". What happens is your skin/flesh actually freezes. The damage depends on how long you were frozen for! So in severe cases, you can lose digits and limbs. In minor cases like mine, it is like a burn: it blisters, there is minor nerve damage and it is sensitive. Sounds like fun, eh??

Hi Dave! It's c-c-cold. I don't think you'd like it right now! I have committed to doing the kick your ass Diablo 50 miler, so maybe we'll see ya then!

Hi Evan - yep, it's paradise! It's pretty incredible to live in a National Park. But because it's a National Park, we don't have any races! It would be better waaaaay better to just come for a running holiday. In July-August, there are 1000's of km's of gorgeous trails to explore within a short drive of the town of Banff. It a short but sweet season!

Hi K!
Don't worry, my new touque is getting lots of use. It's just sweaty right now....expect to see lots of it in future photos!

Leslie